The National Educational Testing Bureau of University Grants Commission (UGC) conducts National Eligibility Test (NET) twice a year generally in the months of June and December to determine eligibility for lectureship and for award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for Indian nationals in order to ensure minimum standards for the entrants in the teaching profession and research. The Test is conducted in Humanities (including languages), Social Sciences, Forensic Science, Environmental Sciences, Computer Science and Applications and Electronic Science.
Eligibility Criteria to apply are as below:
Age Limit: For Junior Research Fellowship, candidate should not more than 28 years at the time of applying and for the post of Assistant Professor, there is no upper age limit for applying.
Education Qualification:– Candidates should have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this Test.
– Candidates appearing OR will be appearing at the qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited OR candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed can also apply.
– Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. The candidates whose post-graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects, may appear in a related subject.
– For Assistant Professor: NET/SLET/SET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
– Candidates, who are or have been awarded a Ph. D. Degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
– Candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
UGC NET Exam Pattern: UGC NET Test will consist of three papers. All the three papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be conducted on the same day.
UGC NET Written Exam Pattern :
|Paper||Subject||Max. Questions||Max. Marks||Time Alloted|
|I||General Paper on Teaching|
& Research Aptitude
|II||Subject Selected (Via)||50||100||75 min.|
|III||Subject Selected (Via)||75||150||150 min.|
NOTE:– In Paper-I, Sixty (60) multiple choice questions of two marks each will be given, out of which candidates have to answer any fifty (50) questions only. In the event of the candidate attempting more than fifty questions, the first fifty questions attempted by the candidate would be evaluated.
– Paper-II shall consist of 50 objective type compulsory questions based on the subject selected by the candidate. Each question will carry 2 marks.
– Paper-III will consist of 75 objective type compulsory questions from the subject selected by the candidate. Each question will carry 2 marks.
– Minimum qualifying marks for Paper-I and Paper-II, 40% for General and 35% for SC/ST/OBC and for Paper-III, it is 50% for General and 40% for SC/ST/OBC.
– Candidates can select subjects from the list, made by UGC NET.
Some of the books which can help candidates to prepare for University Grants Commission (UGC) National Eligibility Test (NET) Exam or UGC NET Exam are suggested as below.
1) Books for UGC NET Paper-I:
2) Books for UGC NET Paper-II and Paper-III:Candidates can choose according to their selected subjects i.e. Computer Science & Applications, Management, Human Resource Management & Labour Welfare, Commerce, Life Science respectively.
These books consists of all the related topics at one place.
Syllabus for UGC NET: Candidates can subjectwise download UGC NET syllabus from here.
Candidates can also download previous year UGC NET Papers (Subjectwise) and previous year UGC NET Papers (Yearwise) from here.
We wish our candidates All The Best for the Upcoming Exams and wish them great future ahead!!
Leave a comment below for any further queries or suggestions.